NaperWriMo = NaNoWriMo + Illinois::Naperville
Welcome to the MediaWiki instance supporting the Illinois::Naperville region (representing the cities and suburbs west of Chicago) of the National Novel Writing Month contest that is held every November. Feel free to look around and help edit pages on this wiki. See these instructions on MediaWiki markup and these help instructions. Visit our blog for the latest news and helpful articles or our NaNoWriMo regional forum. We also have a cafepress shop that helps offset our local expenses.
What is NaNoWriMo?
See the official explanation and our local Frequently Asked Questions list/press release. In brief, NaNoWriMo is the National Novel Writing Month contest that is intended to help people write and complete their own 50,000+ word novel in the 30 days of November each year. What is the prize? A sense of completion and a handsome PDF file certificate. CreateSpace each of the past few years has, as a promotion, given each NaNoWriMo winner a paperback copy of their completed book. NaNoWriMo works because of the enthusiasm, energy and supportive spirit of the participants, which is expressed in the NaNoWriMo forums and in live regional events like the ones hosted by Illinois::Naperville.
NaNoWriMo How-to Guides and Lists
- How do I participate?
- How to ensure you have set your Home region on NaNoWriMo
- a NaNoWriMo website wishlist
- Pomegranate's Guide for Hosting Write-Ins
- What to do the rest of the year?
What is NaperWriMo?
NaNoWriMo provides the international organization, structure and online forums but relies on local (regional) organizations for the face-to-face support and local events (preparatory events and write-ins) that really enrich the whole NaNoWriMo experience. NaperWriMo is what we call our local extension to NaNoWriMo. We (the West Suburban Writers) regionally represent the cities and suburbs west of Chicago. Do visit our calendar of events (most events are October-December).
We're a fun group that even has our own regional songs, which have figured into our friendly wagers with other NaNoWriMo regions over total regional wordcount.
Things Useful To Writers
These are links to online references useful to writers.
- useful references for writers
- Book Recommendations
- software for writers
- plot emergency twists
- Use of emotional response
- Thoughts on a better noveling tool (based on Papel)
- Notes on Editing -- from the DucKon 19 Editing Workshop led by Tom Lee
- Writer's Die -- a handy, dandy tool for writers who have a d10 or d20
- Finding your writer's voice
Other lists, sites and articles
- writer's resources (alden.nu)
- Truck Poetry's NaNo Tools
- NaNoWriMo helpful resources from National Novel Finishing Month
- NaNo Tools
- Behind The Name random name generator recommended by [.Ka.Destiny.]
- Kathy's NaNo Rewards - motivational aids for NaNoWriMo
Illinois::Naperville Events and Resources
2010 NaperWriMo Planning
Note: Illinois::Naperville has existed as a separate region since 2005; for more information, see Region history
Regional Jabber Chatroom
Introduced in 2006
information about the Jabber chat room(s) -- this is a great resource for quick, online word wars and support in November, especially for those who are unable to make it to the Sunday write-ins.