Naperville is blessed with a jabber chatroom. This is a virtual meeting place we use to socialize and run word war contests. It is especially active during November; and we have word_war, a jabber bot, to provide timing services for us.
Here are the steps you can take to access our jabber chatroom (note that I am assuming that you are using an account I have provided you; if not, substitute your own jabber server. I’ve heard that google talk accounts work fine):
- NaNoMail me (NewMexicoKid) with your request for a free login. You can specify your desired password or I can make one up for you (you can update this yourself later through your jabber client)
- You can follow the directions to use the Jeti web client OR
- (my preference) you can install a real jabber client such as Exodus (Windows PCs) or Pidgin (which is multi-platform and multi-protocol–you can also use it with other IM services such as IRC, AIM, etc)
- Download and install Pidgin. You might also want to grab the guifications plugin that provides toaster pop-up notification windows. There are many third party plugins available, including some that support Facebook, etc.
- When you run Pidgin for the first time, you will be prompted to add an account. In subsequent executions, you can access the Accounts page through the Buddy List window.
- Protocol: XMPP
- Username: your username (typically this is your NaNoWriMo username)
- Domain: writing.teiru.net
- Resource: Home (or some unique string)
- Password: your jabber password. For convenience, check the “Remember password” box.
- You can add a small icon image for your buddy icon if you like
- Do not check: create this new account on the server
- When you save your new account, it should automatically connect. If it doesn’t, make sure that the Enabled check box is ticked by the new account in the Accounts window.
- To join our chatroom, in the Buddy Window, use the Buddies -> Add Chat menu option.
- Room: Naperville (or you can also choose NaperWriMo, which we use just for chatting (no word_wars))
- Server: conference.jabber.writing.teiru.net
- Handle: your username
- Leave the other fields blank.
- You can check “Autojoin when account becomes active”